Karditsa is a city in western Thessaly in mainland Greece. The city of Karditsa is the capital of Karditsa regional unit. Inhabitation is attested from 9000 BC.
Karditsa has schools, lyceums, gymnasium, the Veterinary Medicine Department of the University of Thessaly, three technical education departments, church, banks, a post office, a railway station on the Trikala - Karditsa - Domokos line, a sports ground, a water tower, and squares. Karditsa is one of the most bicycle-friendly cities in Greece with an extensive network of bicycle paths. Approximately 30% of all the city transportation, according to the National Technical University of Athens, is done by bicycles.
During the period of Ottoman rule in Thessaly, the main settlement in the location of modern Karditsa was called Sotira. In 1810, the English traveler William Martin Leake mentioned a sprawling village named Kardhítza, consisting of between 500-600 houses, of which the majority of the inhabitants were Turkish. Karditsa was incorporated as a new city in 1882, the year after its liberation from the Ottoman Empire.